History of Gastroenterology at Mount Sinai
Gastroenterology has a long and impressive history at The Mount Sinai Health System. In fact, the story of the treatment of stomach and digestive disorders at the Mount Sinai Hospital actually begins in the 1850s. That’s when a young physician named Mark Blumenthal first began treating patients with appendicitis, gallstones, and peptic ulcers.
Roughly 50 years later, another Mount Sinai physician, Edmund Aronson, became the first physician at Mount Sinai to limit his practice only to patients with digestive disorders.
By 1913, the Department of Gastroenterology was firmly established at The Mount Sinai Hospital with Dr. Aronson as its chief.
Roughly 10 years later, Dr. Burrill B. Crohn would take his place and begin a lifetime of research into serious and often potentially fatal digestive system diseases.
Crohn’s Disease, in which the lower intestine (terminal ileum) and colon become severely inflamed and tissue is destroyed, is named in honor of Dr. Crohn’s pioneering research on this and related disorders.
Out of nearly 5,000 hospitals evaluated, Mount Sinai ranks No. 9 in the nation for Digestive Disease in the 2014-2015 "Best Hospitals" issue of U.S. News & World Report. Learn More